For the second week in a row, my Garmin data tells me this:
- Running (oddly enough) has turned into my catharsis. It keeps my head right. It keeps me thinking straight. It keeps me from going to dark places. I did not know that it was all that to me. I guess it’s one of those things that you take for granted until you don’t have it anymore.
- It would appear that even when I’m not running, I still EAT like I’m running. This is a problem. But not only that, I’m eating comfort food.
- Weight gain (see #2).
- Stir crazy. Oh my god, so stir crazy!! I’m in this vicious cycle that I need to break out of: Wake up, lie on the floor with legs up the wall, get ready for and go to work, try to keep my leg up as much as possible, ankle swollen by the time I get home, legs up the wall again, then on the couch with ice for 20 – 25 minutes. Then…. nothing. No change of scenery. Same environment day in and day out. I’m normally pretty stir crazy by the time spring hits, but holy hannah, the crazy has fully set in this spring.
- Volleyball. Any idea how badly I NEED to get back onto the court? It’s almost as much of a need as getting back out onto the road for a good run. I can walk with only a minutely noticeable limp now, but the zigging and zagging required on the court – nope. Can’t do it. If I so much as step wrong, PAIN! Again, one of those things that you don’t realize you miss until you can’t do it. I miss my girls.
- I have a race in two weeks! It was supposed to be a half marathon, but thankfully I dropped that down to my normal 7K a month ago. But still, 4.3 miles on an ankle that isn’t fully cooperating with me is stressing me out. However, with a 7k, I can walk the full course if need be.
- I’m so afraid that if I don’t get moving it, that it’s going to lock up on me and never want to be a mobile ankle again.
- Mostly, I just feel like I’m in this “poor poor pitiful me” mindset, and that is SOOOOOOO not like me!
This week I’m starting back into a semblance of a routine. Walking only, but moving. The swelling in my ankle has gone down tremendously. It’s still not normal, but if you didn’t know I had injured it, you wouldn’t notice that it was still slightly swollen. It looks so much better than two weeks ago, and it doesn’t hurt to walk on it. So this week I’ll be walking and icing and elevating. I’m hoping to also get back onto the yoga mat. I’ve tried here and there throughout the past two weeks, but it’s been a no-go. My ankle hasn’t tolerated it at all. Yesterday I was rotating my ankle around to the left and to the right and was actually able to do so without any pain. It’s not close to full range of motion, but it’s a definite improvement over a few days ago even. I keep telling myself that it’s only been two weeks and that injuries take time to heal. When what I should be telling myself is that it’s only been two weeks and look how quickly it’s healing!
It really is healing quickly, but holy moly – two weeks without working out is about to make me insane!!!