You know what feels good?
Checking things of your To Do list.
Whenever I’m getting ready to go on vacation I create wild, crazy lists. God forbid I forget something! I have a standard packing list that I use for everything so that I don’t have to reinvent the wheel every time I go somewhere. I simply adjust the day to day activities.
For instance, I’m going on a cruise next month and I have all my shore excursions booked so I’ve adjusted my packing list for the port I will be in along with the activity I’m doing on that day. This way I know exactly what I need. Ziplining? I’m going to need close toed shoes and long pants. Paddleboarding? I’m going to need a swim suit and water shoes. Exploring a Mayan ruin? I’ll need some walking shorts, sturdy shoes and a brimmed hat. Day at sea? Dude. Swim suit and sarong all damned day!
So I have my packing list lined out by day and broken into daytime wear, even wear, and “around the ship” wear. Then I have my miscellaneous section for things that I need to make sure and take like camera equipment, sunscreen, toiletries, etc. It’s a pretty detailed packing list.
One year (I think it was Matt’s cruise) my brother decided he was going to stump me. We were sitting in the lounge after dinner and I had my fanny pack with me. YES. I’m that person with a fanny pack. He goes, “Man, I have a chip in my nail. I need some clippers.” I pulled out my fingernail clippers. He goes, “No, it’s my TOEnail. I need some TOEnail clippers.” So I pulled out my toenail clippers. Hrmph! “Fingernail file?” Got it! Then the light went on in his eyes. I had very short hair at the time. He was completely bald. “I need a ponytail holder. I mean, like, really really need a ponytail holder.” Then he sat back, folded his arms across his chest and began to gloat. I knew I was had, but I went through the motion of pretending to look for a ponytail holder. Well, as luck would have it, I had the fanny pack that had been used on vacation with my youngest daughter and there, attached to a clip hook on the side of the bag, was a ponytail holder. I put on my best pouty face, like I had totally failed at my brother’s challenge, and he BEAMED, ready to claim his victory. Then I held up the ponytail holder for him to take. Crestfallen, he was!
I have scaled back on my packing since then, but I still take things I’m fairly certain that I won’t need, but oh my god, what if…..
Along with this insane packing list, I also make a daily list for the week or two before the trip. This is what I’ve been working on today.
- Clean house so I don’t come home to a disaster – check
- Touch up my roots – check (or at least, in the process)
- Cut and color Mark’s hair – check (he just got out of the shower)
- Print off boarding passes and luggage tags for ship
- Print off boarding passes for flight – can’t do this until 24 hours pre-flight, which is WAY too far away
- Print of confirmations for the hotel – check
- Pedicure – tonight
- Manicure – tomorrow
- Cut and highlight – Tuesday
- Pack everything except what I’ll use between now and then – In progress
- Take Jake over to Michelle’s so he can hang out with her at her house so he doesn’t freak out when I take him over there and leave her – tomorrow maybe
- Test my underwater camera case for my big girl camera – I’ll do that before I get in the hot tub tonight
- Charge camera batteries – tomorrow probably, or sometime next week
- Go to the store for various and sundry odds and ends – sunscreen mostly – sometime within the next week
I am so ready to be warm. February cannot get here soon enough.